I never refused Vaanam: Anushka

Posted on Wednesday, September 29, 2010 |
She is a versatile actress and a true professional and that may be why Anushka is rated so high by the critics and loved so madly by her fans. Even after having established herself as a top actress with a huge fan following, Anushka hasn't allowed herself to get entrapped in an image dilemma that most stars find themselves in — a factor that has worked to her advantage big time.

After her spellbinding performance in Arundathi, which not only broke certain box-office records but also the myth that only heroes could bear the weight of an entire movie on their shoulders and ensure its success at the box office, the actress, in an admirable and daring move, chose to play the role of a sex worker in Vedham, a film made using five short stories with one common climax.

Her belief in the script and the director paid her rich dividends and more accolades came her way. Now, she is all set to do the same role again in Vaanam, the Tamil remake of Vedham. Says the pretty actress, "I'm playing in Vaanam the same character (Saroja) that I played in Vedham. When we did it in Telugu, it was a new venture, a multi-starrer and a different kind of a movie and even though we knew it was an amazing script we all had our inhibitions as to how people would take it. But we had a terrific response from the media and the audience. We are planning to put in a lot more in Vaanam. We are also looking to make it more commercial this time."

Question her as to how different the Tamil version is from the Telugu version and she replies, "I just started working on this project from Monday. The starcast is different but otherwise the version is the same."

Point out to her that this is a role that's controversial and one that stars would generally hesitate to choose, and pat comes the reply, "I don't see it as a controversial role at all. I just consider myself to be blessed to be able to do movies like Arundhathi, Billa and now Vaanam."

But what about her image? Doesn't she think this role will affect her image? Shoots back the actress, "Not at all. I feel that the whole thing about image is there only in the industry because your fans and the audience out there want you to experiment and come out with new roles and better performances."

There were reports that Anushka had refused to be a part of the project initially. Draw her attention to these reports and she dismisses them outright saying, "Oh, they were nothing but rumours. At no point did I refuse to be a part of this project."

Finally, ask her why is it that she isn't to be seen in press conferences held in Chennai as often as she is seen in Hyderabad and she replies, "I'm shooting for several Telugu movies because of which I'm tied up almost every day. However, when I have free time, I definitely give interviews and I'm there to promote my movies at the time of their release."

0 comments:

Post a Comment